Wednesday 26 October 2011

Between Scotlands

In the same way that the dash to the Hebrides made no logical sense, it also seemed a little OTT to head all the way back home to Kent for a week and then bounce straight back up to Scotland. But after examining all the options involving trains, caravan storage, and nights in hotels, the simplest solution was to tow the Airstream all the way down, and all the way back up again, So that's what I ended up doing.

So, back to the stunning Caravan Club Site at Bunree... Wandering around in the morning, I spotted this little gem, complete with original awning:


Photobucket



Heading South, I enjoyed a pleasant and easy tow. Weather was pretty much perfect for the trip - cloudy, windless, and dry.

It just so happened that my chum Gary was staying at a CL near Barnards Castle off the A66 at this time, so it made for a nice break in the day to join him for a few hours, grab a nap, share dinner, avoid the rush hour, and continue the journey in the evening.

Gary has owned his Classic 1988 Sprite XL Musketeer since new. The 'XL' is actually representative of the 40th Anniversary of the Sprite in '88… it's 40 in Roman Numerals. Gary reminds me of this often. 'And not a lot of people know that!' he adds.


Photobucket



Come midnight I once again availed myself of a Caravan Club Late Night Arrivals Area, this time chez Auntie Lynn at Ferry Meadows in Peterborough. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I do so very much appreciate these safe havens that the Club provides for the weary caravanner on the move. As more people chose to avoid the traffic during the day, these facilities become ever more invaluable.

Once my business back home was taken care of, just a few days later I was heading back up the A1(M), this time to the Lawns show at Hull. It was lovely to catch up with industry friends and see the new launches that I had not yet caught. I have to admit, it was on the Coachman stand where I found myself uttering the word 'Wow!' on a frequent and involuntary basis. What stunning tourers they have produced for 2012.

From there, it was across the country to Ludlow in Shropshire, where something very special was about to take place.

No comments:

Post a Comment