Tuesday 1 June 2010

Purbeck Dreams

Since the last entry, so much Airstreaming has been done there just hasn't been the time to sit and write about it!

So let's try and catch up by heading back to Dorset, at the beginning of May. A lovely week was spent on the Isle of Purbeck, which isn't really an island at all.

My favourite site in the area was the Caravan Club affiliated site at Smedmore House, which resembles a large CL. Great views, and great walks down to the beach.

Airstream,Smedmore



On my way to the beach, I stopped and acquainted myself with my new neighbours:

Cow



Nearby is the 'Lost Village' of Tyneham. Evacuated in 1943, the residents were promised by the British Government that they would return when hostilities ceased. The Government broke their promise. The villagers have never been allowed to go back.

Dorset


From my second site, another Club Site, I took the Swanage Railway and was hauled behind the steam locomotive 'Manston'. A lovely nostalgic trip:

Swanage Railway



Destination of the day was Corfe Castle itself. Highlight of the day was the cream tea taken in the NT's very own sunny tea room garden, enjoying uninterrupted views of the castle:

Corfe Castle




Later in the day, I headed off to meet a friend for dinner in Poole. Rather than drive direct I went to see Studland Bay at sunset, and take the chain ferry over to Sandbanks. A bit expensive for a 3 minute ride, but it certainly added to the sense of travel and occasion.

Studland


All in all, a lovely break indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment